Home    Sitemap    Feedback    Contact Us   
Academic year 2007-08:
150 year celebration special:
Sister institution:

History of Hindu High School

Opening of the Main block:
Unsaunted by the extreme steps taken by the department of Education for insufficient accommodation, the committee made intense efforts which resulted in the buying of adjoining sites and constructing the main building on their combined sites at an estimated cost of Rs. 57,627. The Government grant was only Rs. 19,209 towards the building and the Committee had in hand only Rs. 16,000, the amount accumulated by dint of hard saving during many years. The late T.Namberumal Chetty, Contractor, who carried out the construction of the building more as a matter of love than as an item of profit-making business, has rightly earned the grateful thanks of the Committee. This main building was opened in March 1897 by them Governor of Madras, Sir Arthur Havelock. (Proceedings of this function are published elsewhere.) The name of the school also was changed to "The Hindu High School". In 1906, again another twelve rooms were added by erecting two floors on what is now known as the northern block.

A great loss:
In 1908, at a time when the guidance of Mr. M.A.Singarachariar was further required, he passed away. Soon after his demise the Committee thought of erecting a clock tower on the northern side of the school as a fitting memorial to him but the idea was given up. Then the hall which was on the first floor till 1942 was named after him at a function presided over by Sir John Wallis, Chief Justice of Madras. No earthly memorial can adequately express the indebtedness of the public to him. The very school is a fitting memorial proclaiming silently but constantly the services of Mr. M.A.Singarachariar, who led the way for those interested in education.

Steady growth of the school and further accommodation:
The good work done by great men continues to flourish even under adverse circumstances. The school grew from strength to strength and the public appreciated the benefit of education which the school was giving. The Committee as and when additional accommodation was needed, secured it by renting or buying. In 1920 it reconstructed No.76,Big Street, securing thereby eight class rooms. In 1927 it purchased the opposite building No.40, Big Street at a cost of Rs.15,100 and in 1938 house No. 41 was got y acquisition at a cost of Rs. 5,736. Again in 1941, it gained twelve rooms in the main building by adding a second floor to the northern and southern blocks of the main building.

The original Singarachariar Hall in the first floor was is named after him. This further accommodation which the school got in the space of 6 months was entirely due to the ceaseless efforts of Sri S.G.Srinivasachariar, who was the Secretary then. As even this further accommodation was not sufficient, he had a plan prepared in 1942 for the construction of about 20 rooms on the site of the houses (No.40 and 41) opposite to the main building. The Government on account of people after evacuation the strength of the school again increased and the adequate accommodation. It was at this time that the Government stopped building grants to Boys' Schools. This unjust discrimination existed till1948. Many schools which submitted building schemes as early as 1942 had to suffer for want of adequate accommodation and our school in particular was hard hit. The population of Triplicane has been vastly increasing of late and the rush for admission has consequently become greater.

The Corporation of Madras began to impose many restrictions on the construction of buildings adjoining the streets. It was found that a building scheme on the site of the opposite houses as originally planned was impossible on account of the said restrictions. On the advice of architects and engineers, attempts were made to purchase the rented building west of the northern quadrangle. As private negotiations failed, an application in 1946 was made to the Department of Education for the acquisition of that site. A similar application was made at the same time for the acquisition of two houses west of the southern quadrangle for the extension of the playground. These two acquisition were made by the Government for the school in 1950 and in 1949 and the Committee had to pay Rs.85,230 for the former and Rs.13.470 for the latter. The Government were kind enough to give a grant of Rs.35,000 for the firmer and Rs. 6,526 for the latter. In 1948, the Committee had to adopt the shift system of working as a temporary expediency. Since then it has been making strenuous efforts to find further accommodation. It was thought by the Centenary Celebrations Committee that nothing could be more fitting to commemorate the great occasion than the raising of a three-storeyed building comprising 24 rooms. Immediate steps were taken and the ground floor comprising eight rooms, the construction of which began in June 1951, was completed by December 1951. Earnest attempts are being made to construct the first and the second floors before july 1952 so that the shift system may be given up at the beginning of the next academic year. Money is required to achieve this object and it is hoped that the alumni and the generous public would respond to the appeal of the Centenary Celebrations Committee.
1 2 3 4 5