Home    Sitemap    Feedback    Contact Us   
Academic year 2007-08:
150 year celebration special:
Sister institution:
Beginning of School

Beginning of School

The introduction of free education in 1964 brought in new problems as the source of fee income had been cut and the management met the traditional expenses of special incentives to certain categories of teachers till their retirement The school adjusted itself to the various structural changes introduced in the pattern of instruction and the English medium had always
taken the place of pride in the School.

As it had always been the policy, the Management lost5 no chance to acquire the adjacent sites. So it purchased 21/2 grounds of land behind the Centenary block at a cost of Rs.75,000/- to provide a little more playground for the boys.

With the introduction of the Tamilnadu Aided management Regulating Act, a new era has been introduced. A school committee has been formed on 1-6-.976 with Sri S. Parthasarathy Iyengar, as Retd commissioner of Police, as President and Sri K.S. Venkataraman I.P.S. (Retd.) as Secretary while the managing Committee with Sri V.T. Rangaswamy Iyengar as President and Sri L.V. Krishnaswamy Iyer as Secretary continues to function as the Hindu Educational Organisation.

Sri G. Narasimhan of the Hindu was a tower of strength to the School. In his sudden demise on 3-7-77 we lost a patron, friend and guide. The vacancy caused by him was filled in by co-opting Sri K.S. Ramanujan of the Hindustan Times as member of the Educational organisation.

The ten year pattern has been introduced and the first set for the X Standard Public Examination will be presented in 1978 March. The introduction of plus 2 is still in the melting pot.

While in 1951-52 there were 60 sections with a strength 2525 the strength in 76-77 is 3306 & in 77-78 is 3209 with 70 sections.

With a view to celebrate the 125th Year in a fitting manner as in the case of the Centenary Celebration in 1952 which was celebrated for 3 days with a fitting memorial of a Centenary block, a special committee has been formed with Sri K. Santhanam, Justice P.R. Gokulakrishnan, Sri. T.S. Santhanam and Sri M.Ct. Muthiah as patron and Sri V.T. Rangaswami Iyengar as President. The celebration Committee at its several meetings has taken several measures to raise funds to build a 125th Year Block and to renovate the Singarachariar Hall. The Committee has drawn up plans to celebrate the 125th year of the School 24th, 25th and 26th February 1978 with Shri. Prabhudas B. Patwari, His Excellency the Governor of Tamilnadu inaugurating the function on 24th February 1978 and the Education Minister of Tamilnadu Thiru C. Aranganayakam presiding over the Celebration on 25th February 78.

The School had the unique honour of winning the prize in the state level Science Exhibition in 1979. Inspite of lack of playground facilities our boys do participate and win several sports events at District and State level.

The usual midday meal scheme for poor boys started long before the Government introduced that idea is functioning with the encouragement given by the management and philanthropic minded people. The curricular and extra-curricular activities of the School have earned for the School a good name. The Tamil Nadu Government satisfied with the activities of the school was pleased to grant the state award for the 'Best Teacher' to the Headmaster of the School and it has been conferred during this academic year (1977-78) and it luckily synchronises with the celebration of the 125th year.

With the blessings of Sri Rama, the presiding deity of the School, the School resolves on this august occasion to rededicate itself to serve the community and thereby the country in the task of producing good, cultured and efficient citizens.
1 2 3 4