Home    Sitemap    Feedback    Contact Us   
Academic year 2007-08:
150 year celebration special:
Sister institution:
Beginning of School

Beginning of School

Growth of the School:
The Managing Committee spared no pains to acquire buildings as and when possible. In 1920, it reconstructed No.76, Big Street. In 1927 it purchased No.40, Big Street, and in 1938 it acquired No 41, Big Street. In 1941, twelve rooms were added to the main building The plan the rebuild No. 40/41, Big Street into 20 rooms could not be implemented in 1942 because of the rest4iction by the Corporation and the Government. The Managing Committee did not let go any chance of acquiring any land adjacent to the main buildings or in the vicinity as the accommodation problem had become chronic with the4 increasing strength of the school. In 1950, with Governmental interference, the rented building west of the northern quadrangle and two houses west of the southern quadrangle were acquired.

In 1948, the committee adopted the shift system to tide over the accommodation crisis and the centenary celebrations Committee made it a point to celebrate the Centenary by raising the three storeyed building comprising 24 rooms. The School had the good fortune to have Mr. K. Srinivasan of "The Hindu" as the President of the Managing Committee which enabled the Centenary celebrations Committee to raise funds easily and profusely to carry out its programme and it is in no mean measure due to the tireless efforts of the tall personalities who were closely associated with the managing committee and we are fortunate that Mr. V.T. Rangaswami Iyengar who is associated with the school for nearly 75 years is now at the helm of affairs to carry on the dedicated work with zeal and joy. Mr.V.T. Rangaswamy Iyengar has endeared himself to the school by his undiluted love for his almamater and has won the hearts of not only his colleagues but also all the employees by his maganimit6y, erudition and godly nature.

Rt. Hon'ble V.S. Srinivasa Sastriar who was the Headmaster of the School for nearly seven years, left behind a definite stamp. That was in the beginning of this century. Then came a gigantic Headmaster Mr P.A Subramania Iyer, who was the head of institution for 22 years (1916 to 1938) who moulded the routine and efficiency of the school being a postmaster in the art of teaching. Thus a succession of able Headmasters enabled the school to maintain the high traditions of the school. Next, mention must be made of the popular and dynamic Headmaster during the grand celebrations of the centenary of the school and who was instrumental in the monumental work of raising the Centenary block. As Headmaster he widened the activities of the School in various spheres. During his leadership the school opened the Engineering Section of the Diversified course, undertook long tours to North India to widen the vision and experience of the teachers, enlarged the participation in exhibition, arts and crafts, encouraged the fine arts section of the teachers and boys, introduced the N.C.C., induced different associations like the Parents Association, Old Boys Association, Teachers Association etc. to extend their co-operation to build up the tone and name of the school, and last but not the least made the teachers take active part in professional associations like the SITU and made the teachers attend in large number the annual conferences convened at different places, he himself setting up a good example by being an office bearer and by becoming a member of the legislative council to work for the welfare of the teachers Even when he become an M.L.C., he always declared that he was more proud to be the Headmaster of the Hindu Higher School than being an M L.C. For he always felt that it was the school that gave him all honour and he never failed to bring honour to the school which brought him honour.

Mention must be made here that Sri T.P. Srinivasa Varadhan was responsible under the able and benign guidance of Sri K. Srinivasan of "The Hindu," for negotiating and acquiring for the management nearly 100 grounds of land at a nominal price at Raja Annamalai Puram and that deal later enabled the committee to encash the land at a much higher price to enable the management to build a fine magnificent building for the Hostel in Big Street itself is now called the Hindu Educational Organisation Hostel. Thanks to the foresight of that mighty Headmaster who enabled posterity to acquire a good hostel which now houses boys of the Hindu Higher School and also the Hindu Higher Secondary School affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education under the same management.

The rebuilding of 40-41, Big Street into pucca building enabled the library, laboratory, and the Engineering section to move to that building relieving congestion in the main building.

1 2 3 4