Home    Sitemap    Feedback    Contact Us   
Academic year 2007-08:
150 year celebration special:
Sister institution:
Beginning of School

Beginning of School

Growth of the School:
The Managing Committee spared no pains to acquire buildings as and when possible. In 1920, it reconstructed No.76, Big Street. In 1927 it purchased No.40, Big Street, and in 1938 it acquired No 41, Big Street. In 1941, twelve rooms were added to the main building The plan the rebuild No. 40/41, Big Street into 20 rooms could not be implemented in 1942 because of the rest4iction by the Corporation and the Government. The Managing Committee did not let go any chance of acquiring any land adjacent to the main buildings or in the vicinity as the accommodation problem had become chronic with the4 increasing strength of the school. In 1950, with Governmental interference, the rented building west of the northern quadrangle and two houses west of the southern quadrangle were acquired.

In 1948, the committee adopted the shift system to tide over the accommodation crisis and the centenary celebrations Committee made it a point to celebrate the Centenary by raising the three storeyed building comprising 24 rooms. The School had the good fortune to have Mr. K. Srinivasan of "The Hindu" as the President of the Managing Committee which enabled the Centenary celebrations Committee to raise funds easily and profusely to carry out its programme and it is in no mean measure due to the tireless efforts of the tall personalities who were closely associated with the managing committee and we are fortunate that Mr. V.T. Rangaswami Iyengar who is associated with the school for nearly 75 years is now at the helm of affairs to carry on the dedicated work with zeal and joy. Mr.V.T. Rangaswamy Iyengar has endeared himself to the school by his undiluted love for his almamater and has won the hearts of not only his colleagues but also all the employees by his maganimit6y, erudition and godly nature.

Rt. Hon'ble V.S. Srinivasa Sastriar who was the Headmaster of the School for nearly seven years, left behind a definite stamp. That was in the beginning of this century. Then came a gigantic Headmaster Mr P.A Subramania Iyer, who was the head of institution for 22 years (1916 to 1938) who moulded the routine and efficiency of the school being a postmaster in the art of teaching. Thus a succession of able Headmasters enabled the school to maintain the high traditions of the school. Next, mention must be made of the popular and dynamic Headmaster during the grand celebrations of the centenary of the school and who was instrumental in the monumental work of raising the Centenary block. As Headmaster he widened the activities of the School in various spheres. During his leadership the school opened the Engineering Section of the Diversified course, undertook long tours to North India to widen the vision and experience of the teachers, enlarged the participation in exhibition, arts and crafts, encouraged the fine arts section of the teachers and boys, introduced the N.C.C., induced different associations like the Parents Association, Old Boys Association, Teachers Association etc. to extend their co-operation to build up the tone and name of the school, and last but not the least made the teachers take active part in professional associations like the SITU and made the teachers attend in large number the annual conferences convened at different places, he himself setting up a good example by being an office bearer and by becoming a member of the legislative council to work for the welfare of the teachers Even when he become an M.L.C., he always declared that he was more proud to be the Headmaster of the Hindu Higher School than being an M L.C. For he always felt that it was the school that gave him all honour and he never failed to bring honour to the school which brought him honour.

Mention must be made here that Sri T.P. Srinivasa Varadhan was responsible under the able and benign guidance of Sri K. Srinivasan of "The Hindu," for negotiating and acquiring for the management nearly 100 grounds of land at a nominal price at Raja Annamalai Puram and that deal later enabled the committee to encash the land at a much higher price to enable the management to build a fine magnificent building for the Hostel in Big Street itself is now called the Hindu Educational Organisation Hostel. Thanks to the foresight of that mighty Headmaster who enabled posterity to acquire a good hostel which now houses boys of the Hindu Higher School and also the Hindu Higher Secondary School affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education under the same management.

The rebuilding of 40-41, Big Street into pucca building enabled the library, laboratory, and the Engineering section to move to that building relieving congestion in the main building.

The introduction of free education in 1964 brought in new problems as the source of fee income had been cut and the management met the traditional expenses of special incentives to certain categories of teachers till their retirement The school adjusted itself to the various structural changes introduced in the pattern of instruction and the English medium had always
taken the place of pride in the School.

As it had always been the policy, the Management lost5 no chance to acquire the adjacent sites. So it purchased 21/2 grounds of land behind the Centenary block at a cost of Rs.75,000/- to provide a little more playground for the boys.

With the introduction of the Tamilnadu Aided management Regulating Act, a new era has been introduced. A school committee has been formed on 1-6-.976 with Sri S. Parthasarathy Iyengar, as Retd commissioner of Police, as President and Sri K.S. Venkataraman I.P.S. (Retd.) as Secretary while the managing Committee with Sri V.T. Rangaswamy Iyengar as President and Sri L.V. Krishnaswamy Iyer as Secretary continues to function as the Hindu Educational Organisation.

Sri G. Narasimhan of the Hindu was a tower of strength to the School. In his sudden demise on 3-7-77 we lost a patron, friend and guide. The vacancy caused by him was filled in by co-opting Sri K.S. Ramanujan of the Hindustan Times as member of the Educational organisation.

The ten year pattern has been introduced and the first set for the X Standard Public Examination will be presented in 1978 March. The introduction of plus 2 is still in the melting pot.

While in 1951-52 there were 60 sections with a strength 2525 the strength in 76-77 is 3306 & in 77-78 is 3209 with 70 sections.

With a view to celebrate the 125th Year in a fitting manner as in the case of the Centenary Celebration in 1952 which was celebrated for 3 days with a fitting memorial of a Centenary block, a special committee has been formed with Sri K. Santhanam, Justice P.R. Gokulakrishnan, Sri. T.S. Santhanam and Sri M.Ct. Muthiah as patron and Sri V.T. Rangaswami Iyengar as President. The celebration Committee at its several meetings has taken several measures to raise funds to build a 125th Year Block and to renovate the Singarachariar Hall. The Committee has drawn up plans to celebrate the 125th year of the School 24th, 25th and 26th February 1978 with Shri. Prabhudas B. Patwari, His Excellency the Governor of Tamilnadu inaugurating the function on 24th February 1978 and the Education Minister of Tamilnadu Thiru C. Aranganayakam presiding over the Celebration on 25th February 78.

The School had the unique honour of winning the prize in the state level Science Exhibition in 1979. Inspite of lack of playground facilities our boys do participate and win several sports events at District and State level.

The usual midday meal scheme for poor boys started long before the Government introduced that idea is functioning with the encouragement given by the management and philanthropic minded people. The curricular and extra-curricular activities of the School have earned for the School a good name. The Tamil Nadu Government satisfied with the activities of the school was pleased to grant the state award for the 'Best Teacher' to the Headmaster of the School and it has been conferred during this academic year (1977-78) and it luckily synchronises with the celebration of the 125th year.

With the blessings of Sri Rama, the presiding deity of the School, the School resolves on this august occasion to rededicate itself to serve the community and thereby the country in the task of producing good, cultured and efficient citizens.
1 2 3 4