Home    Sitemap    Feedback    Contact Us   
Academic year 2007-08:
150 year celebration special:
Sister institution:
In 1898 - Inauguration of New Building

Opening of New Buildings of The Hindu High School


On the afternoon of Saturday, the 12th March 1898, His Excellency Sir Arthur Havelock, the Governor, opened the new buildings of the Hindu High School in Veeraraghava Mudali Street, Triplicane. A few minutes after 4 p.m. His Excellency the Governor, accompanied by Mr. H. A. Sim and Captain Logan Home, arrived, and was received by the members of the Managing Committee of the School, consisting of Rajah T. Rama Rao, Mr.M.0.Parthasarathy Aiyangar, Mr.M.Veersaraghavachariar, Mr.M.A.Singarachariar,and Mr.M.A.Tirunarayanachariar; and conducted upstairs. On His Excellency taking his seat on the dais, Mr. M.0. Parthasarathy Aiyangar, Secretary, read: -


The Committee of Management of the TRIPLICANE HINDU HIGH SCHOOL and the ANGLO-VERNACULAR PRIMARY SCHOOL beg to avail themselves of this auspicious occasion of the opening of their New Buildings by your Excellency to present to your Excellency and to the public a brief history of these Institutions.

These schools trace their existence through half a century to two small Patasalas or Vernacular schools, in which the rudiments of Tamil, Telugu and Sanskrit were taught. They were called the "Hindu Andhra Balura Patasala" and the "Dravida Patasala," instruction in Telugu being the predominating feature of the former and that in Tamil of the latter. These schools were amalgamated under the name of the "Hindu Andhra Dravida Balura Patasala" with the late P. T. Ramanjooloo Naidu, Head Translator of the High Court, as President, and the late Devanayaga Mudaliar as Secretary. Under the same management was a Girls' School known as the "Balika Patasala."

On the 5th February 1869, the schools being in a declining condition, the Secretaryship was assumed by Mr. M. A. Singarachariar Head Cashier of the Bank of Madras. At that time the strength of the Boys' School was only 48, and its finances showed a deficit of Rs. 80. The pay of the teachers often fell into arrears, but
Mr. Singarachariar discharged all the liabilities out of his own pocket, reimbursing himself subsequently when funds permitted, and kept the school going. The Committee feel that to the self-sacrifing zeal and the personal example of earnestness of Mr. Singarachariar as Secretary, at that time, the present stability of the school and its condition as a first class High School are in no small measure due. In fact, from the commencement of his connection with it Up to the present time, he has so identified himself with the school that it has long been popularly known as Singarachariar's School. The first efforts of the then new Secretary were directed to the strengthening of the English side bf the education in the' school. Classes were opened up to the Matriculation standard, and in 1870 the first batch of students was sent up for the Matriculation Examination.

'When the English side of the school was thus improved, its former name became inappropriate and was changed into the "Balura Patasala". In 1873, at the instance of the then Director of Public Instruction, the name was again changed into the Triplicane Anglo-Vernacular High School. In 1876, as the whole school was located in one of the two buildings at present occupied by the High School, there was not sufficient accommodation for the boys, and in consequence the Primary Department was removed to another building where it has continued ever since, and we are glad to say that in the Primary School alone there are as many as 500 boys receiving instruction at present. At about the same time, the management 6f the Girls' School, which had been meanwhile improved and strengthened, was handed over to His Highness the then Maharaja of Vizianagaram, and to the subsequent history of that institution there is no need to refer here.

In the Boys' School, those were hard times for the High School Department' as it had to compete at a great disadvantage with the High School Department of the Presidency College, and hard and almost desperate attempts had to be made to make both ends meet. The Matriculation class had actually to be closed at one time, and serious thoughts were entertained of confining the instruction to the Primary Department only. But better times were in store for the school, and with the abolition of the High School Department in the Presidency College, the school has not only been able to maintain its position, but it has also become self-supporting. The strength of the High School is now close upon 560, that of the Matriculation classes alone being nearly 100

1 2 3 4 5